Follow me on Twitter

Follow UTAblog on Twitter

Wednesday 21 September 2011

Better...but more to come

So despite a rather nervous defensive performance we managed to turn-over the 4th division Shrewsbury Town team and ended up with a 3-1 win.

Much of the media focus today is on the Wenger press conference, I couldn't be less interested in that if I'm honest. Gazidis said some guff at a media meeting yesterday and Wenger effectively told the press to "jog on" when questioned about it. I can't remember the last time Arsene gave a straight answer to a question or actually said 'something' amongst all of the words he babbles out during his pressers. Always. The. Same. Shit.

So onto the game and a team of mixed experience performed ok bar for 20 mins in the middle of the first half, where Djourou was reminiscing about his school-boy football days and completely forgot that as a central defender you need to jump to win headers.

There was a lot of 'chatter' on Twitter having a go at Johan, but overall bar this mistake, when I think Ignasi Miquel had gone walkabout and left Djourou with 2 men to mark, I thought he dealt with the physical nature of their attack quite well. Bearing in mind this was a team from the 4th division I need to keep my praise in-check some what, but overall I as happy enough, and not being a miserable bastard, but someone who is naturally more optimistic, I prefer to focus on the good stuff from last night.

I think Coquelin was outstanding last night. His composure on the ball, his temperament & tenacity in the tackle and his general enthusiasm was fantastic, and something that seemed to rub off on a few others at times yesterday. At this moment in time I would happily play Coquelin ahead of Frimpong, mainly because Frimmers clearly sees the 'red mist' when wound up and at the moment we can't afford to have any more players sent off (if he hadn't have gone against Liverpool would we have lost? doubt it). I think the turning point within the game came when Coquelin had actually lost the ball in the middle of the park leading to a counter attack. The manner in which he sprinted back into position to rectify his mistake is the kind of attitude I love from Arsenal players, and vast difference to the attitude seem from certain 'amblers' over the last few years.

Chamberlain  was a good performer (in the 2nd half more so) along with Benayoun who was a constant threat throughout and was always looking for a opportunity to take the team forward, ending up with a goal having got himself into the 6-yard box. I like that. He is clearly better as a wide player than centrally, and I think he'll offer more defensively when we do look to contain the opposition compared to Arshavin, Gervinho or Walcott currently do.

I saw a few reports saying that Park was poor, I personally couldn't disagree more. I accept he didn't have the most flamboyant of matches, but he kept everything simple and showed flashes of what he can do, with a few lovely through balls to Yossi and one shot flashed just wide after some good footwork on the left to work some space for himself.

I'd liked to have seen more from Chamakh but overall his play overall is getting better, his 'hold up and distribute' style was much better than the rubbish we were treated to in the 2nd half of last season. Hopefully coupled with his goal against Blackburn he's returning to the form from his purple patch at the beginning of last season. One thing I would add to that is he always looked super-pissed when he does miss a chance of the keeper makes a save, clearly he's trying his nuts off so it's another reason I'm confident he'll turn it around.

So a 3-1 win and overall I would say a 6.5/10 performance. Things always look better after a victory, and with far tougher assignments ahead it remains to be seen if this excruciatingly slow moving tanker has turned the corner.

Up The Arsenal

No comments:

Post a Comment