Follow me on Twitter

Follow UTAblog on Twitter

Tuesday 20 December 2011

So what next....?

The defeat by Man City was a tough one. We deserved something from the game, no questions, and on another day Phil Dowd might not have been the complete tool he always is and given the penalty for the blatant handball by Micah Richards. That said the defeat did raise the same questions about the 'depth' (I use the term loosely) of our squad, particularly the attacking options.

I think it's clear for all to see, that Arshavin is a spent force, not through lack of effort, but his confidence is so shot, I think there is no of him re-discovering (if he ever really had it) his form. Chamakh is frankly useless to us as a team now. He comes on, ambles about a bit, does nothing and then runs off the pitch as fast as he can. At least Arshavin still tries to make the odd pass and will waste the odd opportunity, Chamakh doesn't even do that now, he is our Emile Heskey.

If these are our 2 best attacking substitutions and are to remain so for the remainder of the season then I think we'll struggle, simple because Van Persie can't play every game and without his goals and attacking prowess we look powder-puff at times.

So what the alternative? Again I think most fans would say it's blindingly obvious Wenger needs to buy in January. A striker is a must, as Chamakh will be gone for up to 6 weeks, and Park hasn't as much made the bench for the last few games (if Chamakh is getting onto the bench ahead of him, how average can Park be in training?), so despite Arsene saying Park, Arshavin, Chamberlain etc can play there, we really shouldn't risk it.

I think we're covered in midfield to be honest. The return of Jack will give us options to rotate the trio of Arteta, Ramsey and Jack. It'll also force both Arteta and Ramsey to play out of their skins week-in week-out as Jack ought to be starting every week when he's back. I would go as far to say that our best midfield would be Song-Arteta-Wilshere, as I personally think Ramsey is more suited to the Arteta role by controlling the tempo with his passing and Jack has the greater potential to play the 'killer' pass.

The next position that I think needs investment is out wide. I think Gervinho has done well since coming in, and despite the glaring misses, has added a much needed impetus to our forward play, that was sadly lacking with Arshavin out on the wing. I would love to see the Ox play, I'd have loved him to come on for Theo at City and just run at Zabaletta; that said I don't think Chamberlain is ready to play every week during the African Nations and I really don't want to see us return to the having the Russian out wide again.

I do however think Chamberlain should be our first choice substitute winger right now (followed closely by Yossi), ahead of the Arshavin. If we're losing and need some drive and spark to get back into the game, the Ox has shown he's more likely to produce, whilst Benayoun has played well every time he's come on. He's delivered whenever he's had the chance to play a full game (carling cup & Olympiacos) and I think he deserves more opportunities over the Russian.

Who we actually buy, I've no idea, but I think there are a few players who have just been dumped out of the champions league who could be available (from Dortmund & Lille), but I doubt we'll get them; Whilst the players I would like Cavani and Ayew are still in the competition so probably wouldn't move.

Whilst it's not all doom and gloom right now, I'm worried that due to the size of the squad it could all collapse in March. Again.

Arsene don't let it happen. Please.

Up The Arsenal

Ricky

No comments:

Post a Comment